How to set you apart from other candidates
Posted at 14/12/2021
If you have an interview scheduled it is important to reflect on what differentiates you from other candidates. Identifying your personal and professional achievements in advance will make all the difference when it comes time to give your answer in the interview, which is usually a tense moment. See Fed Finance Portugal's tips to become a memorable candidate and the first choice!
Get as much information as possible about the job and the company
Having knowledge about the company helps you formulate and organize a more interesting answer and helps you understand what your role within the team may be. You will then be able to see how your technical skills and personal characteristics will help make a difference within that organization. The key to success is to relate the experience you have already gained and relate it to the desired position.
In the first phase it is important to know well:
- The company culture.
- Job description.
Be prepared to answer any question
It is very important to think about the answers beforehand. Try to find an answer to the most common questions that may arise. Practice what you can say. Prepare your story, rehearse with friends. You will feel much more confident when you must answer.
We have highlighted some of the most common questions:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths and what are your points to develop?
- Why do you think you are the right person for this job?
- Did you already know this company? Why do you want to work for this company? What do you know about the company?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Or 10 years from now?
- What are your professional goals? Or what is your dream job?
- What has been your greatest professional achievement?
- Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?
- What did you do while you were without a job?
- Why did you stop working for company x?
- Why did you change jobs so often?
- Do you have any referencesabout yourself to give?
- Are you participating in other selection processes?
- What is your salary expectation?
- Do you have any questions?
How you present yourself is also important. Be careful what you wear, remain professional, confident, take time to answer correctly, if necessary, you can ask them to repeat the question.
Highlight your differences or your strength
Highlight a skill, software, extra work experience, the foreign languages you master, good people management, among other skills. Find out what is the key element that can make you stand out and promote it during the interview. Share relevant experiences from your past jobs to illustrate your strengths. Give examples of how you used them positively in a work situation.
Tips in brief:
- Make a list of your own qualifications.
- Make the perfect match. Compare your skills and strengths with the requirements presented in the job description.
- Leverage your personal brand. Highlight your specific achievements and quantify your experience or major accomplishments attained. No two career paths are the same.
- Tell a good story. Structure a story that is unique and holds the recruiter's attention. Talk in a captivating and engaging way. Always relate your skills to what the recruiter is looking for. Keep examples of your work and projects in mind to share.
- Show off your strengths. Knowing what sets you apart from other candidates can give you confidence. Think about what makes you exceptionally perfect for the role.
- Be authentic. Show your potential employer why you are the best professional for the job. Explain why you deserve the job. Make sure they get the perception that you can handle challenging situations with positivity and perseverance.
- Consider what makes you unique. Try to pick one or two qualities or experiences you have that are different from what other people might have, or things that are generally harder to find in potential employees.
- Quantify your value. If you have numbers to back up your work experience and achievements, highlight them. In corporate finance this is an asset.
Reflect on what makes you unique, and whether that unique characteristic is something the company can find value in. Believe in yourself. It is critical to believe you are the best person for the position you are applying for. Get in touch with a Fed Finance Portugal consultantif you need additional advice.