How to ensure the well-being of your employees
Posted at 13/01/2022
Companies that care about the well-being of their employees are more likely to have productive, happy and healthy employees. With the pandemic, this topic has gained even more relevance. In this article learn how to create a wellbeing strategy to ensure your employees and your business grow.
What is employee well-being?
Employee well-being refers to how their work - duties, expectations, stress level and environment - affect their health and happiness. It encompasses physical, psychological and social health.
Well-being is one of the most important criteria for young graduates entering the market. By creating a pleasant working environment, you can build your employer branding and become a company that people would like to work for. It can also help increase your employee's work productivity: well-being is synonymous of motivation in the workplace.
The key to happiness at work
Well-being is a key factor in determining an organization’s long-term success and effectiveness. Globally, an estimated 264 million people suffer from depression, one of the leading causes of disability, with many of these people also suffering from symptoms of anxiety. A recent WHOled study estimates that depression and anxiety disorders cost the global economy US$ 1 trillion each year in lost productivity.
Factors that create well-being at work:
- Good environment, in terms of human relations and conviviality.
- Close and quality management.
- Professional recognition and rewards for merit.
- Sense of equality and respect for everyone.
- Flexible working hours.
- Clear tasks adjusted to each employee's profile and organizational objectives.
- A sense of belonging to the organization.
- Ask your employees what could be done to improve. Conduct a survey focusing on different topics such as: work-life balance; work environment; management; company life. Listen to their concerns and needs, what they value most about the organization and their work experience.
- Analyze the data and create a plan to improve the missing areas and procedures.
- Make sure you have someone in the company your employee can talk to.
- Evaluate the changes. Constantly review the effectiveness of the strategy you have implemented and make improvements. Find new solutions and advance processes on an ongoing basis.
Actions you can create:
Strengthening training. Promote workshops, conferences, innovation workshops that appeal to creativity or other types of training events. Give new opportunities, for example in remote work, in another function within the company or even in another country, if feasible.
Re-evaluate the benefits given to your employees. Pay attention to fair payment policies and benefits offered.
Create relaxation areas and safe spaces in your office. Imagine actions that can combine exercise with networking with professionals from large companies. Everybody wins! Promote massages in the office, have a daily fruit offer available and establish partnerships with healthy food companies and gyms.
Work environment. Create an ergonomic and inclusive work area. More comfortable furniture and the existence of plants and green spaces are strategies in vogue today.
Organize team buildings. Team building can be done through different activities: sports, artistic or playful. Organize days to combat stress, meditation and events for the employees' families
Offer flexible working hours. Show consideration for your employees' personal commitments or family matters.
Benefits of a corporate wellness strategy:
- Higher levels of performance.
- Improved productivity
- Lower employee turnover.
- Attract the best talent.
- Being recognized as a fantastic company to work!
In summary, find out what excites and motivates your employees and define an effective strategy. The costs inherent to well-being initiatives save companies money in the long term, making it a smart investment.
Looking to strengthen your team? Contact Fed Finance Portugal.